Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Europe Survey 2013: Inverness Day 3

Today was our last full day in Scotland. After we ate some porridge we bought at Morrisons yesterday, we got on the bus and rode to a few neighborhoods that aren't within walking distance of our hotel. As the bus moved down the streets I watched as people interacted with their community. There were small convenience stores in the neighborhoods as well as parks and schools. Old women had rolling carts and were out shopping and visiting with each other. While its nice to be where all the commerce and life seems to be in the city, I really enjoy exploring the neighborhoods and watching life unfold there.
During the day we also traveled across the bridge to the village of North Kessock. It's just along the inland of the North Sea. From this area, you could sea the snow capped mountains behind the North Sea. It was a beautiful sight. It seemed like a very quiet little community with a tea room and a hotel. We found ourselves with time to kill so we went into the tea room for some high tea and dinner. We chatted briefly with the owner. While in North Kessock we also met some people from Wyoming. Surprisingly, these are the first Americans we've seen so far.
Transit wise, not having access to a car in the cities we've been to so far has been fun (for me at least). I've left my ballet flats in the hotel room and wandered around the city on foot and by bus when necessary. By rough estimation I think we've walked around 16 miles in Inverness alone. I wish I had brought by pedometer but I probably couldn't have afforded the tenth of a pound it would have added to my bag.
As today is winding down and we're preparing to move on to Copenhagen tomorrow, I am reflecting on the time we've had here and the experiences we've had. We have really loved our time in Inverness and enjoyed the people as well. If this is where God would have us, I would thoroughly love returning here in a few years. If God would have us somewhere else I would love to return here just to visit one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment